Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Guindy National Park Chennai Tamil Nadu


Guindy National Park Chennai Tamil Nadu comprising 595 acres, is situated adjacent to Raj Bhavan. It was originally a part of the Governor’s Estate. This is the only National Park in the world to be situated within a Metropolis. It is botanically the only one of its kind to carry even today, vegetation that is truly representative of the natural thorny scrub jungle of southern dry zone. Interspersed with more than 30 trees species that include a number of centuries-old gigantic banyan trees. This park with a network of roads, footpaths, nature trails, lakes and ponds, offers good opportunities for viewing wild life
Guindy Park National Chennai Tamil Nadu
The main attraction of this park is fauna such as the rare Indian Antelope popularly known as the Black Buck found nowhere else in the world. This is also a sanctuary for the endangered animals like the Spotted Deer, White Buck, Bonnet Monkey, Small Indian Civet Cat, Jungle Cat, Jackal, Common Mongoose and the Common Palm Civet Cat. The bird life is also equally interesting. You can see the King Fisher, Blue Jay, Golden Backed Woodpecker, Crow Pheasant, Yellow Wattled Lapwing, Redwattle Lapwing, Blue Faced Malkoha, Shrikes, Koels, Doves, Munias, Parakeets, Grey Partridge, Tailor birds, Robins, Drongos, Quails, Bird of Paradise Flycatcher and the Stone Curlew can be seen here
Pin It

Pamban Rail Scissors Bridge Rameswaram Tamil Nadu

Pamban Rail Scissors Bridge Connecting the island of Rameswaram to the mainland, this 2.06 km. long rail bridge was built in 1913. with stones brought from a distance of 320 km. and sand from 160 kms. 
Pamban Rail Scissors Bridge Rameswaram Tamil Nadu
The bridge was constructed on 145 stone pillars. A portion of the bridgeopens up likes a pair of scissors to let the ship pass under it. On December 22,1964, a devastating cyclone destroyed part of this bridge. The Indian engineers rebuilt it in exactly 45 days and made it operational once again.
Pin It

Dhanushkodi Beach Rameswaram Tamil Nadu

Dhanushkodi  Beach Rameswaram This is a strip of land about one km wide and 18 kms long on the eastern end of Rameswaram island. On one side are the waters of the Indian Ocean and on the other the waters of the Bay of Bengal. 
Dhanushkodi Beach Rameswaram Tamil Nadu
The two seas otherwise known as Ratnakaran and Mahodadhi with their confluence is shaped like a bow while the strip of land resemble an arrow poised for release. Devout Hindus consider the Adi Sethu or the arrowhead, a sacred place to perform religious rites. It is also place worth visiting for its scenic beauty and bird life.
Pin It

Gingee Fort Viluppuram Tamil Nadu


Nestled on three hills, and enclosed by a huge rampart 60 feet thick, stands the majestic GINGEE Fort, in the Villuppuram district, which is located on the Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai road about 25 kms from Thindivanam and 130 kms from Chidambaram.  The indomitable courage and valour of its erstwhile rulers, caused Father pimenta, a Jesuit priest to call the GINGEE Fort the Troy of the East Besieged by the Mughals and battered by the British, the fort still stands at 800ft. in height, guarded by a moat, eighty feet wide. Much of the early history of this 800Year old fort is shrouded in mystery,as the fort seems to have changed many hands times before it was annexed to the Vijayanagar empire

Gingee is known as GINGEE in Tamil. The small town of GINGEE was once a capital city, With its province extending from Nellore in the north to the Coleroon (Kollidam) in the south. According to local legend, GINGEE Amman, was one of the seven virgins who were the guardian deities of the Village. Legend has it that at around 1200 A. D. , GINGEE was fortified by Ananda Kone, chief of the local shepherd community. In 1240 A. D. Krishna Kone . His successor is said to have fortified the northern hill which later came to be known as krishnagiri.The kone dynasty gave way to the kurumbars, who established their headquarters at Sendamangalam,which later came under the powerful Chola empire. Recorded history goes back to the 16th century, when Gingee (GINGEE) became the seat of the Nayaka rulers, who were under the lordship of the expanding Vijayanagar empire. Krishnadevaraya appointed Krishnappa Nayaka, and he was considered the founder of the Nayaka line of Gingee.
Gingee Fort Viluppuram Tamil Nadu
Most of the structures, fortification walls and temples were built during this period. The fortifications and defenses were further strengthened under chatrapati shivaji, the great Maratha ruler, was captured Gingee in 1677 A. D. Gingee came under the hegemony of the Moghul emperor Aurangazeb in 1691 A. D., and sarup singh was appointed as the chief of Gingee by the emperor, under the control of the Nawab of Arcot.Sarup Singhs son. Raja De singh, revolted against the Nawab of Arcot, and was defeated and killed in the war that followed. Though Gingee became a part of the Nawabs territory in 1714 A. D . the young and courageous De Singh became a legend and his heroic deeds were sung in the form of popular ballads. Thus Gingee too became quite well known. In 1750 A. D., Gingee came under the French rule and remained so till it was surrendered to the British in 1761

GINGEE today, with its ruined forts, temples and granaries, presents a different picture from the glorious splendor of its bygone days. But the remains of that valorous past, speak volumes about the numerous invasions, warfare and bravery that it witnessed. We invite you to this land of the brave and mighty, to witness a glorious past that still lives in the ruins of the GINGEE fort.

Pin It

Grass Hill forestsTiruppur Tamil Nadu

Grass hill  forests Tiruppur Tamil Nadu is surrounded by a green grass environment. It’s a beautiful site of high green grasses with ever green unique “Shola” Forest on a mountain slope, which is a protected area. Situated, at a distance of 15 km from Valparai of Coimbatore district. One can reach with permission of Forest Dept by motorable jeep from Valparai and by trekking from Chinnar and Thirumurthy Dam of Tiruppur District
Grass Hill forestsTiruppur Tamil Nadu
Grass hills is a picturesque spot located in the Valparai and Anaimalai range, at a height of approx: 2400m msl, with cool climate getting cooler at night. Right now all efforts are being undertaken by the Government to preserve the flora and fauna of this location. Nilgiri Thar is native of this place apart from Elephants, Bison, Indian Gaur, Bear, Nilgiri Langurs etc. and wide variety of birds including Hornbills. It is an ideal place for trekking from Chinnar via Eravikulam national park of Munnar (Kerala) to konalar kudil of Grass Hills.
Pin It

Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary Tiruppur Tamil Nadu


Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary is spread over at the altitude of 1400 meters in the Western Ghats area of Pollachi, Valparai and Udumalaipettai. The area of the sanctuary is 958 sq km of which only 387 sq km spreadover in Tiruppur district. Amaravthy Reserve Forest and part of Anaimalai Reserve Forest of Anaimalai wildlife Sanctuary falls within the Tiruppur district.this sanctuary is a National Park with an area covering 108 sq kms. About 800 species out of 2000 South Indian flora and faunaare distributed here.
Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary Tiruppur Tamil Nadu
Fauna
Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary fauna  include Lion-tailed macaque, Bonnet macaque, Common langur, Nilgiris langur, Malabar giant squirrel and Grizzled Elephant, Gaur, Pangolin, Sambhar, Spotted Deer, Barking Deer, Mouse Deer, Wild boar, Sloth Bear, Porcupine, Nilgiris Tahr, and Civet Cat

Nearest airport -Coimbatore – 75 kms.
Nearest Railway station - Pollachi 35 kms away.
Best season -Throughout the year (Except June to August)
Accommodation -There is a Forest Rest House at Topslip Varagaliar, Amaravathi, Sethumadai.  Catering arrangements are available.  The Public Works Department (PWD) Rest houses at Udumalpet and Amaravathi, Electricity Board (TNEB) Rest House at Attakatti.   
Other facilities  - Motor Vehicles and riding elephants available for hire.

Pin It