Sunday, 19 August 2012

Vattakottai Fort Kanyakumari District Tamil Nadu

Vattakottai Fort  is a seaside fort near Kanyakumari, TamilNadu the southern tip of India. It was built in the 18th century as a coastal defence-fortification and barracks in the erstwhile Travancore kingdom.t is rectangular in  shape and  covers an area of about three and a half acres.  The fort is enclosed by walls 25 to 26 feet high, including the parapet, 29 feet thick at the front, 18 feet at the corners and 6 feet at the rear.  The portion running into the area is the most strongly built under the orders of  De Lannoy during the reign of Mathandavarma (1729-58).  About 1810 A.D. the British forces under the  command of St. Leger marched into Nanjilnad through the Aramboly pass  and demolished the defence lines. 
Vattakottai Fort Kanyakumari District Tamil Nadu
The small river by the side of the fort, and the green vegetation all around add to the scenery of the fort and has now become a holiday resort and picnic centre. It is said that there is a subway or tunnel about four feet width, supposed to connect the padmanabhapuram palace.  Now the tunnel has been closed.  On the northern side of the fort is found a slop to being the canon from the lower to the upper part of the parapet of the fort.  There is well of about 6’ diameter. The whole wall around the fort is repaired and fresh mortar is being applied. Literary or epigraphical evidences are not in store to know much about Vattakotai. Next to Vattakottai, we can see the traces of a light house in Leepuram being called  so after Colonel Lee who has destroyed most of the Kadukkarai Kanyakumari Fort in 1806.  This is a picnic spot, the sea is calm and suitable for bathing.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment