Friday, 17 August 2012

Dindigul Fort Dindigul District Tamil Nadu


The Dindigul Fort Dindigul District Tamil Nadu formally known as (Dindigul Malai Kottai )is a 17th-century hill fort situated in the town of Dindigul in the state of Tamil Nadu in India.  this at a height of 280 ft. In the year 1605 Madurai King 'Muthu Krishna Naicker' started the construction of this Fort. In 1623 to 1659 Mannar Thirumalai Naicker completed this. In 1755 Hyder Ali was escorting Fakhr-Un-Nisha his wife and Five years old Tipu to Dindigul. From 1784 to 1790 the Fort was under the rule of 'Tipu Sultan'. In 1784, the Tipu's commandant Syed Ibrahim, under whose care the Fort was, constructed many rooms in the Fort, strenthend the walls and also got repaired. During the year 1790 in the Mysore war Tipu was defeated and the Fort came into the hands of English.
Dindigul Fort  Dindigul District Tamil Nadu
Approaching from Madurai (65 km), the huge rock emerges on the horizon like a "Dhindu" (pillow) — hence the city's name, Dindigul. Amidst paddy fields and coconut groves, it stands out like a welcome symbol, one kilometer short of the city centre. Under the Mysore reign in the 18th century, this fort marked the border between the Madurai and Mysore kingdoms. Dindugul town was not in existence at that time, whereas the region was an amalgamation of a few villages. Today the fort is an important landmark of Dindigul town.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment